Once again my mantra 'keep calm and finish for next Christmas' did its job - I finally finished the third pair of mittens that were supposed to be an x-mas gift last year. Ooops. But better late than never and at least it's still cold enough to wear them.
The picture above shows the first two pairs I made - done, sent and received in time for x-mas - because I gave my last pair away without taking any pics. It looked basically the same, just with spikes in different colours rather than using one for all three.
The pattern is called Convertible Monster Mittens by Doreen Blask. What I found a bit disturbing is that the pattern doesn’t state a gauge or gives exact measurements, so it involves a bit of guessing work when knitting for a kid you don't see very often. It’s defininetly helpful to know the handsize of the recipient and also to make a gauge swatch to calculate the needed number of stitches and rounds. But apart from that it was a fun thing to knit and well received!