So I've tried to stand by my own promise to not cast on new projects all the time, but tackle some of my WIPs instead. Coincidentally I finished a pair of socks yesterday - the same day the pattern was released in Knit Now, issue 50. It is a unisex sock pattern, with different knit and purl patterns that swirl down the leg.
I've started my prototype quite a while ago and as it is with prototypes - the moment I know the pattern works just fine and I start to knit the sample in the required yarn, I abandon them... Well, in this case I really wanted to knit up the yarn, because it was one of my 'souvenirs' from last year's holidays in the United States, so a couple of days ago I picked this WIP up again and even though I am not a fan of pink, I really like these.
Unfortunately I had completely forgotten that this was only a partial skein and I had planned to adjust the leg length to the yardage I've got. Ahem. Mental notes obviously don't do it for me these days. And why I started a pair of socks with a partial skein is another question I don't even ask myself. Not having enough yarn in my stash can't be the reason... Anyway, the contrast coloured toes weren't meant to be there, although I think they look quite fun, so this a prototype with a special design element.
I mirrored my stripes and the end of the stripes on the instep is a bit different than in the magazine pattern, which is easy to do when you know how many rounds you usually knit for your foot length.
One WIP down. :)